The Baroque Period
Grade Level: High School Orchestra (9-12)
Lesson Objective: Learners will demonstrate knowledge of Baroque musical style and the relationship between Baroque dance through performance of the Baroque Dance Suite by J.S. Bach.
Subject Matter Content Standard:
1.0 ARTISTIC PERCEPTION: Processing, Analyzing, and Responding to Sensory Information Through the Language and Skills Unique to Music
Listen to, Analyze, and Describe Music1.4 Analyze and describe the use of musical elements and expressive devices (e.g., articulation, dynamic markings) in aural examples in a varied repertoire of music representing diverse genres, styles, and cultures.
Background: The dates for the Baroque period are 1600-1750. We will examine some of the websites that will provide you with some background information on significant composers, artists, and performers during this period. We will examine the Baroque dances and the relationships of the musical rhythms to the popular dance steps of the Baroque period.
Use the following websites to help you answer questions in your scavenger hunt.
- The Internet Public Library Music History - http://www.ipl.org/div/mushist/
- Baroque Music - http://www.baroquemusic.org/
- Institute for Historical Dance -http://www.historicaldance.com/english/index.html
- An American Ballroom Companion (History of Dance Instruction (1490- 1920) - http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dihtml/dihome.html
How did musicians and dancers express their cultural ideals through performing arts during the Baroque period?
- What were the historical, social, and political influences during the Baroque period?
- What are the general characteristics of Baroque visual art, music, dance, drama, and architecture?
- What is the difference between secular music and sacred music?
- Who was the most famous composer from the Baroque period?
- What kind of sacred and secular music did he compose?
- What are the characteristics of Baroque music?
- What are the names of the dances popular during the Baroque period?
- How did the Baroque dance forms influence the musical style?
- What new form of art was first developed in the Baroque period?
- Where can you go to hear Baroque music today?
- What influence did Baroque dancing have on dance of today?